This file may not be suitable for users of assistive technology and are in the following formats: .pdf. Request an accessible format.
Post Title: Administration Officer (Job Share)
Reporting to: Town Clerk
Responsible for: None
Hours: 18.5 (Wednesday to Friday)
Salary: SCPs 8-12 – £20,493 to £22,183 fte (pro rata)
Place of work: The Manor House, Dawlish
Main Purposes of Role
- To work according to the direction of the Town Clerk to provide a front of house service to customers of the Council.
- To carry out a range of administrative roles as allocated from time to time.
- To supervise the room booking system for the Manor House.
- To provide secretarial support to the Mayor.
- To be the initial point of contact for customers, in person, by mail, email or telephone.
- To be responsible for sorting all incoming mail, ensuring it reaches the right person and for the prompt dispatch of all outgoing mail.
- To supervise the room booking system, liaising with the caretaker to ensure customers’ specific requirements are met. To ensure accurate records on the automated booking system
- To ensure that invoices for room bookings are issued promptly.
- To receive all income and ensure that it is processed through the correct procedure, so that the Finance Officer can maintain proper accounting records.
- To arrange the Mayor’s civic receptions, with assistance from the Events, Projects & Tourism Officer.
- To receive all requests for the Mayor to attend events and ensure that the Mayoral Diary is up to date. To liaise with the Mayor on diary issues.
- To assist the Projects Officer with the organisation of events, including producing promotional material, if necessary.
- To update the website and pass on questions from the website.
- To carry out the day-to-day administration of the Allotments Scheme.
- To provide general clerical support within the office, as directed by the Town Clerk.
- To act as an appointed First Aider and Fire Warden.
- To deputise for other officers as required, including clerking committees when required.
- to undertake such other duties and responsibilities as may be required and which are consistent with the general level of responsibility of this role and the needs of the Council
- to attend meetings of the Councils and its Committees as appropriate
- to convene or attend meetings, as appropriate within the community to promote partnership working and effective communications
- to prepare and produce reports and associated supporting materials for Council meetings
- to maintain personal and professional development to meet the demands of the job
- to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside the organisation, always engendering a team spirit
- to uphold the Council’s core policies and procedures
- to maintain and process records accurately
- The post holder will be required to present an appropriate, positive image of the Town Council dealing with all contacts in a professional and respectful manner.
- Internal contacts: Councillors, officers of the council
- External contacts: contractors, suppliers, representatives of partner organisations and other local authorities, businesses, and members of the public
Commitment to Quality
- To attend training courses or seminars as required.
- To ensure that the public receive appropriate and professional service and to help ensure the council has a reputation for courtesy and endeavour on behalf of its customers.
- To be mindful of the council’s policies, including Data Assurance and Anti-Fraud, and act in accordance with these.
The Town Council reserves the right to alter the content of this job description, after consultation, to reflect to the job or services provided without altering the general character or level of responsibility.
Person Specification: Finance & Administration Officer
- Educated to HNC/HND or NVQ level 3
- 3 years’ experience in an administrative role
- Experience of analysing information, providing briefings, and taking minutes and/or notes.
- 5 years’ experience in an administrative role
Administration and Organisational Skills
- A high level of attention to detail
- Good workload management skills including the ability to work under pressure, manage fast flowing workloads and prioritise effectively to deliver within deadlines
- Understanding of different channels of communications including social media and websites.
- Excellent customer service skills, showing awareness of the level of service expected towards customers and the ability to deal with them in a positive and polite manner.
- Excellent written, presentation and listening skills
Flexibility and Responsiveness
- The ability to deal with change and be flexible.
- The ability to demonstrate personal commitment, enthusiasm and achievement of high-quality standards.
- A working knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook and the ability to quickly take on in-house IT working practices including web updating
Special requirements & employee screening checks required for successful applicant
- High numeracy and analytical skills
- Right to work in the UK
- Qualifications check
The post is graded on an annual incremental scale, subject to satisfactory performance, as follows:
SCP 8 £20,493
SCP 9 £20,903
SCP 10 £21,322
SCP 11 £21,748
SCP 12 £22,183
Terms and Conditions
The appointment will be subject to the terms and conditions laid down in the NJC for Local Government Services as supplemented by local agreements and by the rules of the organisation.
The post attracts an annual leave entitlement of 22 days per year (pro rata) plus public holidays. A further 4 days (pro rata) are added following 5 years continuous service.
Dawlish Town Council is an “Admitted Body” to the Local Government Pension Scheme.
The person appointed will be required to complete a confidential medical declaration form and the appointment may be dependant on the issue of a satisfactory report from the Organisation’s medical adviser if necessary.
The appointment is subject to a six-month probationary period pending satisfactory service.
Notice to Terminate Employment
The post holder is required to give 1 month notice of the termination of their employment. The minimum period of notice to which the post holder is entitled is one month, increasing after four years’ service by one week for every subsequent year up to a maximum of 12 weeks.
Where you are required to use your vehicle for work purposes, you will be reimbursed business mileage at the prevailing Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs rates of 45p for the first 10,000 miles.
Interviews will be held during week commencing 18 October 2021.
To find out more about the role, please telephone 01626 863388 to speak to the Town Clerk.